The Adventure of Installing Quakeworld

Share your config/setup, and troubleshoot technical problems.
OneManClan
Site Admin

The Adventure of Installing Quakeworld

Post by OneManClan »

Ok, people, Ive got this new super-duper computer, with a fresh install of Windows7, and am going to install a client so I can play AGR on this new comp. This is my diary, Ill be editing/updating this post as I go along

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)

Friday 11th May
Uncompressed ZelTF, and installed it into the default c:program files
PROBLEM 1:
Tried to run it got a dialogue box with:
"GLW_StartOpenGl() - could not load opengl subsystem"
click ok, program exits..
Analysis: could be the OS, the graphics card drivers, directx.. who knows?

Research: someone here says its the graphics drivers:

Saturday 12th May
I think its something to do with opengl32.dll in windows/system.
PROBLEM 2:
Tried to rename it opengl32.dll.bak, but windows7 wont let me: "you require permission from trustedinstaller to make changes to this file". I don't like win7.

Saturday 12th May
Ok, I found some software that lets you become trusted installer (or something). Followed the instructions hereand managed to rename opengl32.dll to opengl32.dll.bak .. but how will this affect other games?! Anyway, moving forward.
PROBLEM 3: Tried to run EzQuake, and now it says "system error": The program can't start because OPENGL32.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem". Rebooted, same deal. renamed 'OPENGL32.dll.bak' to 'OPENGL32.dll', back to Problem 1.

Tried different compatibility modes - no difference

looked for a 'seta r_mode' setting, but no go (i think that was a Q3 based suggestion)

---
SUNDAY 13th May 4:10am
Ok, according to THIS POST, apparently my vid card needs GL drivers installed (?)

SUNDAY 13th May 2pm
Told win7 to update vid drivers, it said drivers are up to date. Updated them anyway - the program RUNS!!!! :) Next step, getting the files, and configuration

haze

Re: The Adventure of Installing Quakeworld

Post by haze »

I have a similar system to you, win7 ultimate with a geforce gtx 260 .

my first question is did you install proper drivers for the video card? that is step one.

and is it 64 bit or 32 bit windows? i had troubles with win64 bit, changed to 32bit and things have been a lot smoother.

2nd point would just be to run windows update repeatedly til it doesnt find anything new, to update directX and everything else.

i plopped my quake directory from long ago into my new windows 7 installation and it works perfectly fine. quake is not something that needs to be installed etc etc. it can run from any folder. for example: G:\games\quake\ezquake-gl.exe . i really hope zelTF isn't causing problems by messing with the file paths. I find it so much simpler to create your own quake directory, throw everything in the right spots, and make your own desktop shortcut.

Make sure your windows profile is an administrator, and then you shouldn't have issues changing file types (if thats really what is needed). I never had to change opengl32.dll . i just remember that in the old days you had to delete opengl32.dll from the quake folder, thats it. UAC (user account control) might pop up, that can be disabled through control panel, i believe. i never see it myself. its been so long.

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

haze wrote:I have a similar system to you, win7 ultimate with a geforce gtx 260 .

my first question is did you install proper drivers for the video card? that is step one.
Yes, I updated the drivers, and quake runs (forgot to update my 'log'). Weird because win7 said the vid card drivers were 'up to date'. but i installed the latest ones anyway!
haze wrote:and is it 64 bit or 32 bit windows? i had troubles with win64 bit, changed to 32bit and things have been a lot smoother.
32 bit
haze wrote:2nd point would just be to run windows update repeatedly til it doesnt find anything new, to update directX and everything else.

i plopped my quake directory from long ago into my new windows 7 installation and it works perfectly fine. quake is not something that needs to be installed etc etc. it can run from any folder. for example: G:\games\quake\ezquake-gl.exe . i really hope zelTF isn't causing problems by messing with the file paths. I find it so much simpler to create your own quake directory, throw everything in the right spots, and make your own desktop shortcut.
I actually ran the zeltf installer, so i don't know if it put stuff elsewhere. I will just plop my fortress directory from the old comp to this one.. but I don't trust win7.. and keeping old comp for now as a backup.
haze wrote:Make sure your windows profile is an administrator, and then you shouldn't have issues changing file types (if thats really what is needed). I never had to change opengl32.dll . i just remember that in the old days you had to delete opengl32.dll from the quake folder, thats it. UAC (user account control) might pop up, that can be disabled through control panel, i believe. i never see it myself. its been so long.
Yea, its weird.. memories of renaming opengl32.dll from days gone by, dont remember when , don't remember why.. somethign to do with 3dfx vs vodoo or something..

Beltan

Post by Beltan »

It isn't an adventure it's a fucking ODDYSEY and I'll probably never do it again...I just keep copying the whole frickin' folder.

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

UPDATE 13 Jan 2013
I'm having dramas because Windows7 apparently doesn't let you make changes to certain folders (program files) unless you have administrator privilege - even though I've only set up one account! Grrr

1. The dissapearance of Ezquake!
I tried to install the latest EZquake (2.1?) into the Zeltf folder, it completed the procedure ... ie all looked normal.. except - now THERE IS NO EZQUAKE EXE IN THE ZELTF FOLDER!

2. The weird folder Windows7 made FTE write stuff to
I put the latest experimental fte client into Zeltf folder (which IIRC used to work fine), but it had weird settings which I couldn't change, and as it
C:\Users\foo\Documents\My Games\FTE QuakeWorld

Theory: This might be messing up something. Need to make it so the one and only user has Windows7 admin privileges. But I rtfmed briefly and it 'seems' this was done to protect Windows 7 from viruses, ie anything that might try to write something somewhere that might affect the OS.. Need to rtfm some more. Meanwhile will try deleting the entire C:\Program Files\zelTF folder and start from scratch..

Beltan

Post by Beltan »

OneManClan wrote:UPDATE 13 Jan 2013
I'm having dramas because Windows7 apparently doesn't let you make changes to certain folders (program files) unless you have administrator privilege - even though I've only set up one account! Grrr
Our small community really needs to look to the future and try to build a single installation file that will set someone up with the game, even if the entire idea has to be modded into a new game! If we don't create a doorway for new players, It won't be long before AGRCustomTF is no more :[

I would love to help, but would need someone to teach me programming. Let us all contribute in any way we can and make CustomTF to live FOREVER!