What mouse do you use for Quake? :->

Share your config/setup, and troubleshoot technical problems.
rincewind

What mouse do you use for Quake? :->

Post by rincewind »

Ok let me just explain why I've asked such a boring question.

For about half a year I've been using an inexpensive Saitek Cyborg V3 mouse and it's what I'm currently using when I play AGR on Sundays. But about half a year ago, my old mouse for no reason whatsoever just stopped working. 5 or 6 mice later I still haven't been able to find a replacement for this magical frag machine.

Indeed, with this mouse I once entered into the revered top 10 of the Phoenix Labs scoreboard under the pseudonym name of "Grunt" (only using Wolfgang when I didn't care about my kill/death ratio). Actions such as bunnyhopping and rocket jumping were once completely natural...enemies fell before me like grain.
This sacred mouse? Dell Packard CO-3UP. Honestly, I've tried lots of different mice (even 2 by Razer) and the CO-3UP is just beyond compare. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use it for any other game except Quake.

So, just created this thread because I'm curious what set ups you are using. Do you have your Quakeworld client set up for high sensitivity? What buttons do what on your mice?

Alot of Quakeworld people I've spoke to use mouse2 as their +jump. I use mouse3 (scroll wheel press in) for +jump which some find odd, no doubt a lasting habit from my old mouse. For mouse2 its often assigned to another weapon or ability depending on class. mouse1 being +attack of course :-)

sapphired

Re: What mouse do you use for Quake? :->

Post by sapphired »

rincewind wrote:Ok let me just explain why I've asked such a boring question.This sacred mouse? Dell Packard CO-3UP. Honestly, I've tried lots of different mice (even 2 by Razer) and the CO-3UP is just beyond compare. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use it for any other game except Quake.
Cheers dear sir/lord :) Let me speak from my heart
1st of all thanks for sharing your mouse experience to AGR family members. Can you share your mouse pic, cause google images know only few thumbs about this mouse model.
May be its good fit your hand and and wouldn't fit others hand. Congratulation then u'd found your dream mouse - WIN
Image :?:
rincewind wrote:So, just created this thread because I'm curious what set ups you are using. Do you have your Quakeworld client set up for high sensitivity? What buttons do what on your mice?
Alot of Quakeworld people I've spoke to use mouse2 as their +jump. I use mouse3 (scroll wheel press in) for +jump which some find odd, no doubt a lasting habit from my old mouse. For mouse2 its often assigned to another weapon or ability depending on class. mouse1 being +attack of course :-)
I use mouse2 for +forward, 'e' for +jump, yes, don't look me like that i know it's dumb and crazy, but habbits, who cares,anyway thats one of the reasons i justify myself for not with BH-oping. mouse3 for throwgren, scrolls for weapons scroll.
Your mouse habbit looks a bit crazy for me, how you manage use mouse 3 for jump with scroll trigger (clit) for jumping? Scroll up/down - any actions/binds? Aren't your finger feel sloppy while pressing mouse3 with scroll clit?

My mouse is some china cheap logitech and i dont care, may be some day i'll be rich and i can buy better mouse, cause its not so essential now.

Cheers. Take care. 8-)

haze

Post by haze »

i've been using a logitech mx310 for the last ...6-7-8 years. best mouse ever. they don't make it anymore obviously. though. so i'm hoping it never craps out. i bumped up my usb rate to 500hz so its pretty damn smooth. it makes all the difference in the world, I could never go back to the default 125hz.

mouse1 = +attack
mouse2 = detpipe/or whatever class specific bind i need
mouse3 = skill
mouse4 which is a side button for the thumb = BRING ON THE AIRFIST BABY
mouse5 (other side of mouse) = +det5 or class specific button
mouse6 (clit behind wheel) = hasn't worked in quake for years..
scrollwheel = switch between two weapons.. NOT scroll through all weapons..thats gamble on what u'll end up with.

am i the only one who uses spacebar to jump lol. WASD for movement. only improvement i could see is moving over a row maybe to ESDF for movement, then i'd have more room on the left for more binds.

anyway the most essential thing for first person shooters, i think, is having a mouse capable of at least 500hz-1000hz

rincewind

Post by rincewind »

Yeah, that picture is the sacred CO-3UP. Which I actually managed to find on ebay recently. I've been playing the last few days with it and although I'm already missing the extra buttons things are alot more comfortable when playing Quake! The mouse3 button is very sturdy and doesn't move although on the rare occasion I sometimes change weapon by accident.

Sapph, perhaps I don't know much about alternative configs but having a mouse button as +forward just seems wrong. No wonder you can't bunnyhop with that set up. Wouldn't surprise me if OMC has something similar as I often see moving like if his player model was a car or something that is incapable of 360 degree movement. Care to comment OMC?

Haze, having seen the speed at which you BH around maps (no doubt always as a red player) I find it impressive your jumping with the spacebar. I might experiment with this approach myself.

Thanks for sharing

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

haze wrote:anyway the most essential thing for first person shooters, i think, is having a mouse capable of at least 500hz-1000hz
Wow, this is something I've never looked at! I assume it's a USB thing?
rincewind wrote:Yeah, that picture is the sacred CO-3UP.
'sacred' ..man.. i might have to look into this..
rincewind wrote: Sapph, perhaps I don't know much about alternative configs but having a mouse button as +forward just seems wrong. No wonder you can't bunnyhop with that set up. Wouldn't surprise me if OMC has something similar as I often see moving like if his player model was a car or something that is incapable of 360 degree movement. Care to comment OMC?
I'm embarrassed to say I have never looked into it. I have:
left button = fire
middle button = ventrillo talk
right button = switch weapon, but I never actually use it, i just hit the number key

Here's the ancient, corded, non-optical, filthy mouse I use for gaming - it's Microsoft, its from the 90's, and it's still going!!

Though you've got me thinking about upgrading now.. though last time I checked (2007?) they were saying optical is slower response than non-optical.

OMC
ps. I also jump w the spacebar - I thought everyone did?

rincewind

Post by rincewind »

Response times on modern optical/laser/whatever mice are instant. Each person to their own though. I've found the perfect Quake mouse but what works for me might not for you, haze, sapph etc.
I'd upgrade your mouse right away and perhaps look at some more useful binds. I find it almost impossible to bunnyhop using the spacebar. I know many people use mouse2, atleast those I've spoken with on European QW and TF servers in order to fly around maps at warp speeds.

I'm happy to share any specific class configs. I use Ezquake

haze

Post by haze »

I can see the advantage of using a mouse button for jumping. It's just too late to change now lol.

When i use spacebar, it permanently ties up my thumb for bunnyhopping, so when i want to use C,V,X keys i'm forced to use my movement finger from the D key. This obviously restricts me in certain situations, because i cant strafe right and prime a grenade at the same exact time. altho we're only talking maybe 10ms to press the key, in a fight, it still restricts my moves.

Anyway, to OMC: USB by default runs at 125hz, meaning 125 cycles (updates) per second. There are (free) apps that will "overclock" your computer's USB rate, to 250hz,500,1000, maybe more. It forces your computer to receive more updates per second about the location of your mouse position (and also any device plugged in by USB). Thus making it more accurate and smooth. The difference is amazing. On an old mouse like yours, it would probably kill it lol or not even work. You're best just buying a new $30 optical mouse lol. Also, since its tweaking, you do it at your own risk. Some ppl claim they've killed certain USB ports that way. I've had mine at 500hz for years with no problem.

sapphired

Post by sapphired »

OMC, why you mouse are so sweat and dirty? :D

Haze right, such program exist and can really help, many years ago used it for quake 2 games.
Omc, may i send you new optic mouse as a Santa gift?

Beltan

Post by Beltan »

I have used a trackball (like an upside-down mouse) for at least 8 years. I feels more precise to me, and it doesn't strain my wrist like a regular mouse does. It doesn't take as long to get used to as you might think, and I'm pretty sure it's (we're talking microseconds but still) slightly faster than a traditional mouse because you don't move your entire arm, just your fingers.

I've always despised scroll wheels, so my scroll buttons are disabled.

Fire: M1
+Skill: M2

wasd movement

For a long time I used r to jump, but finally decided to quit gimping myself and now use space to jump (I also thought everyone used space, surprised to find out otherwise).
q to detpipe, e to reload.
z: +sfeign, x: disguise, c: build

I still use i for inv, which is actually, now that I think about it, kind of a huge pain in the ass. Maybe I should combine reload and inventory togetether on e. or I could just bind r I guess.

I use 12345678 for weapon switch and probably always will.
Last edited by Beltan on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Einherjar

Post by Einherjar »

Logitech MX518 that I bought 8? years ago.
Only mouse button I use is mouse1 for +attack. Never really used the other buttons for Quake. Have had the same keyboard layout/binds since about 1997 :p

WASD movement and space bar for jump.