Spec Cam bug

Share your config/setup, and troubleshoot technical problems.
OneManClan
Site Admin

Spec Cam bug

Post by OneManClan »

The spec cams are unique in that they are non solid, but 'damage'able, so that they pass through walls, players etc, but they CAN be damaged, so that if one gets in your face, you have the option to shoot it, and it instantly becomes invisible. Unfortunately, because they are 'damagable' theres a bug where (even when invisible) they can can block rockets, and grens etc!! I've passed on the info to the Gurus, and I expect all should be fixed for next week!

Btw, apologies to the players who said that they had already pointed this out to me previously. There's so much going on during a Session gameplay wise, I tend to tune out all non game related talk; this is why I ask ppl to email be w any problems/issues. Anyway, all should be good for next week!

sapphired

Re: Spec Cam bug

Post by sapphired »

BTW, OMC, is it possibe to id the camera to see who is chasing?
And is it possible to drop spec, due inactivity/ cause there are a lot of them not active for 1-2 mathes - assholes

haze

Post by haze »

cams are such a distraction from the gameplay. if you're in a decent fight, why should we have to waste ammo/time to blow up a stupid camera, when those seconds are the difference between killing the enemy or dying.

another thing, the cameras stick through walls. i was sniping vs. ein yesterday, in the middle of well6. i knew people were spectating him, so when i saw a camera sticking backwards through the wall, I knew exactly where he was hiding, basically i got free wallhacks from the spec camera. unfair advantage.

also, because they use the same model as an actual engineers camera, i was confused on tf2k, whether someone was blocking the flag's 'trap door' with an engineer's camera, or whether it was a spectator camera. i went to jump out and got blocked because it happened to be a real camera. those wasted seconds can make all the difference in the world, and shouldn't be an issue to begin with.

give us the option to disable this feature completely please. this is ridiculous.

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

[EDIT: the following two comments were from Sapphired, not haze as previously displayed]
sapphired wrote:BTW, OMC, is it possibe to id the camera to see who is chasing?
Not currently possible, but it's something on my request list as well.
sapphired wrote:And is it possible to drop spec, due inactivity/ cause there are a lot of them not active for 1-2 mathes - assholes
Great idea, I'll pass this onto the Gurus.
haze wrote:cams are such a distraction from the gameplay. if you're in a decent fight, why should we have to waste ammo/time to blow up a stupid camera, when those seconds are the difference between killing the enemy or dying.
Fair point. I had a chat w the Gurus, and one told me he it might be possible for the spec_cams to be damegable and *always* non solid, ie rockets pass through them, so they will have 0 contact with game elements. The other option might be to turn off all spec cams if a player wants them off via an impulse. Even though spec cams add to the theatrics of the AGR Sessions, gameplay is KING and if ANY player feels that they detract from their game, switching them off should be an option.
haze wrote:another thing, the cameras stick through walls. i was sniping vs. ein yesterday, in the middle of well6. i knew people were spectating him, so when i saw a camera sticking backwards through the wall, I knew exactly where he was hiding, basically i got free wallhacks from the spec camera. unfair advantage.
Hmm. This sounds like a prob. Off the top of my head, what about making it so that spec_cams aren't visible when in chasecam mode?
haze wrote:also, because they use the same model as an actual engineers camera, i was confused on tf2k, whether someone was blocking the flag's 'trap door' with an engineer's camera, or whether it was a spectator camera. i went to jump out and got blocked because it happened to be a real camera. those wasted seconds can make all the difference in the world, and shouldn't be an issue to begin with.
I've asked someone to make a specific 'spec_cam' mdl, so soon the two will look different.
haze wrote:give us the option to disable this feature completely please. this is ridiculous.
Ok, I'll see what I can do.
ps. If you know anyone who can make/edit Q1 models, please let me know!

haze

Post by haze »

OneManClan wrote: Hmm. This sounds like a prob. Off the top of my head, what about making it so that spec_cams aren't visible when in chasecam mode?
Yes that would be a fair compromise.
OneManClan wrote: The other option might be to turn off all spec cams if a player wants them off via an impulse.
Also yes!
OneManClan wrote: ps. If you know anyone who can make/edit Q1 models, please let me know!
toss it to the forums @ quakeone.com / quakeworld.nu / inside3D.com

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

Update!!:

1. Damaged/Invisible spec_cams are now totally non-solid
2. Cameras now rotate(!!!!!), so they are easily distinguishable from spec_cams.

Until the new spec_cam model arrives, these should help resolve some of the issues mentioned in this thread.

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Yea Cameras ought to be non solid...not sure why they were damageable? I have founf that adding FL_NOTARGET to the players .flags field when a camera is a good reinforcement in case you bring the code someday to coop or have a new mode where monsters or bots or other artificial players are competing.

Also , to OMC: I tried to PM you but I dont have permission here yet. I got some spam that looks maybe from your email address or one pretending to be, it seemed to have snagged email addresses from this board. I dont come here alot , so this might already be handled in another spot, but I wanted to show you the headers in case its a real problem. I guess let me have PM options here or drop me an email. I had email problems for a while but they seem to be fixed now.

Cant wait to see your new spectating or cam mode in your new Rocktober vid....keep up the good work.