Duration of matches

What's working? What isn't? What could be improved? Let's hear your ideas on how to improve AGR, and try to achieve .. perfection.
sapphired

Duration of matches

Post by sapphired »

Hello ppl addicted and involved to Custom TF galaxy.

My proposition regarding our weekly mathes.
In order to make games more interesting and better quality - reduce time of the match to 40 minutes (+2 min pre match) and sets to 4 minutes

1. Long mathes are boring
2. Save time + more time to intermission
3. 40 minutes mathes are just fine

Omc, think over about it.

OneManClan
Site Admin

Re: Duration of matches

Post by OneManClan »

Hi Sapphired,

AWESOME screenshots!! :D

I do agree that when games are restarted multiple times, the final game should be shorter:

After 1 restart the timelimit should be 52.
After 2 restarts the timelimit should be 42.
After 3 restarts the timelimit should be 32.

So I'll put this in asap.

There are a number of reasons why games at the Weekly AGR Sessions are (usually) 62 minutes:

1. Often the players only get 'into the zone' at around 40 minutes - and as you know matches are often extended to 72, and even 82 minutes if the gameplay is amazing. Otoh, occasionally some games just will NOT GET into the zone, I recall a 2fort5r about a month ago which was just pathetic, and felt like a waste of time... BUT:

2. Wth these 'failed games', it's almost always because there are specific things that Blue is doing wrong, and often, Blue has (eventually) organized itself and a GG happens.

3. All the scheduled maps are carefully selected, they are (usually) 'tried and tested' maps, proven to be able to provide Great Games. If the game sucks (ie Blue can't stop the caps) it's not the maps fault, it's because players are not playing it properly.

4. If a player genuinely just doesn't like a map, they can always sit out a game.

5. The beauty of 'Customizable' TF is that if players are 'bored', they can change class, change sides. Playing as an eng vs spy, vs tanky attacker are all totally different experiences.

6. Maps are often specially requested by players, so if you get your fav map scheduled, I guarantee you that you will get your hours worth. Maps are not played more than once a month.

7. I think the 5 - 7 minute Intermissions every hour of play are just about right now.

8. If games were shorter, it would encourage some players to not bother playing properly. As soon as they encountered some difficulty - they'd just start messing around, knowing that the map would change soon anyway. A longer game 'forces' newbie/lazy players to take the game seriously, and make an effort to get D happening, or to cap. Many AMAZING games started as pretty crap - ie Blue 00 Red 50, and Blue comes back to win!

9. Matches used to be LONGER - 90 minutes on JGs server back in the Golden Era of CustomTF (2000). Later on at phoenixlabs they were 52 minutes.

Ocassionally, games are cut short, but that's usualy because they were a special request, and as I recall, the person who requested the 'unpopular' map wasnt even there

Personally, I've never been bored during an AGR game; frustrated, pissed off, dizzy, and exhausted, but never bored.

One hour gives plenty of time for people to get *into* the map, to try different things. Lots of smaller games would diminish the importance of each game, and the AGR Sessions have always been about BIG, DEEP and INTENSE games.

OneManClan
ps. Coming up next month is 2fortflooded, one of the least popular maps - we haven't played it for 6 months (?), maybe it should be scheduled for 52 minutes or less, based on the hostile reaction it got last time - still, I do want 2fortflooded fans get their hours worth of flooding, and in any case - some maps I wasn't sure about, I ended up loving.

Jonan

Post by Jonan »

When red is doing well, the game can end quickly. Could we not have something similar for blue? When they have locked down, it could take 50 minutes for them to win, and be quite the chore for red. Could blue actually get more points if they start to defence-cap in a row? Or their timer gets less?

Say, +5 points for each additional cap in a row.

Or, instant win if 3 caps in the lead?

Or, -15 seconds on the timer each cap they get?

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

Jonan wrote:When red is doing well, the game can end quickly. Could we not have something similar for blue? When they have locked down, it could take 50 minutes for them to win, and be quite the chore for red. Could blue actually get more points if they start to defence-cap in a row? Or their timer gets less?

Say, +5 points for each additional cap in a row.

Or, instant win if 3 caps in the lead?

Or, -15 seconds on the timer each cap they get?
Well.. maybe it's a taste thing, but imho the best games ARE those where Red gets stuck..

Long, deep games where ppl (ie Red) have to face (for once!) insurmountable odds!!

Jonan

Post by Jonan »

Not so much, when it is a chore, 45 min lock down is tiring, especially considering red, have to travel the map. Blue can just sit there and relax, once it's locked. Or spawn, and be back to where you were.

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

Jonan wrote:Not so much, when it is a chore, 45 min lock down is tiring, especially considering red, have to travel the map. Blue can just sit there and relax, once it's locked. Or spawn, and be back to where you were.
I can only see it becoming a 'chore' if red are

A: not attacking 'as a team'
B: not changing strategy

If a red dude doesn't talk to teammates, and does the same attack over and over, yes, 45 minutes of failing won't be fun. :)