Free software for game recording

What's working? What isn't? What could be improved? Let's hear your ideas on how to improve AGR, and try to achieve .. perfection.
Bruce Leeroy

Free software for game recording

Post by Bruce Leeroy »

Anybody know of any good free software for game recording? I would like to record some stuff and post it on You Tube. There are hardly any videos of Quake AGR, coop, and similar games. All I find in decent length are vids by a guy named Tickenest on You Tube. Thanks for helping my fellow fraggers!

Bruce

sapphired

Re: Free software for game recording

Post by sapphired »

Bruce Leeroy wrote:Anybody know of any good free software for game recording? I would like to record some stuff and post it on You Tube. There are hardly any videos of Quake AGR, coop, and similar games. All I find in decent length are vids by a guy named Tickenest on You Tube. Thanks for helping my fellow fraggers!
Bruce
Hello,
Some option i know.

1. I use some kind of build-in software in ezquake quakeworld client it converts what u see into .avi format - http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/docs/?video-capture
But it is extremeli slow due live decoding i suppose, may be on good PC's it can be better.
http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4914 - people recommend to use camquake software, but i find it kinda bulky and not easy to use.

2. U can use site http://www.own3d.tv, make account and download their software for live streams and you can record desctop using this software local in some f4v format (flash)

3. Special software dont remember how called - very popular.

dan halen

Post by dan halen »

i made and uploaded 3 videos using fraps from fraps.com
heres a link to one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKW7lVH2dYo

Bruce Leeroy

Post by Bruce Leeroy »

Thanks Dan Halen,

I've tried it but you can only record for 30 seconds. It's a hell of a recorder though, I'm just a cheap guy though - I need something free.

I'm going to try the ezquake recorder again, it keeps saying I don't have the codecs but I do have them. Something isn't right when I try to record with it.

Sapphired,

Could you give us the console syntax that you type in please? Is there a way that we can record for 10 minutes? This would help everybody record and post excellent vids and promote the game. Thanks buddy.

Bruce

sapphired

Post by sapphired »

Bruce Leeroy wrote:Thanks Dan Halen,
Could you give us the console syntax that you type in please? Is there a way that we can record for 10 minutes? This would help everybody record and post excellent vids and promote the game. Thanks buddy.
Bruce
Ya man,
demo_capture start 120 video.avi
demo_capture stop

But when i type to encode to video format using xvid codecs or any avaible for this command, fps drop down and you see 5-10 time slowed motion- not so comfort for real movie making, i blame my 2Mhz Athlon and only 2Gb memory and build-in asus videocard shared memory. You can try it on your onw PC 1st.

haze

Post by haze »

Bruce: http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/docs/?video-capture

Sapph: if you have trouble encoding in the game, could you capture the video in raw format? I used to capture video in 30 TGA images / second . Then use a free program called "pjBmp2Avi" to convert the images into .Avi format. From there you can use VirtualDub (Free) to add some after-effects and compress further. This way you might relieve some FPS dropping in-game. Also, if you started quake in a lower resolution, that might help. 800x600? 640x480?

Both programs can be googled easily. That is, if you chose to take the long way about it.

sapphired

Post by sapphired »

haze wrote:Bruce: http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/docs/?video-capture

Sapph: if you have trouble encoding in the game, could you capture the video in raw format? I used to capture video in 30 TGA images / second . Then use a free program called "pjBmp2Avi" to convert the images into .Avi format. From there you can use VirtualDub (Free) to add some after-effects and compress further. This way you might relieve some FPS dropping in-game. Also, if you started quake in a lower resolution, that might help. 800x600? 640x480?

Both programs can be googled easily. That is, if you chose to take the long way about it.
Ty, i'll try man. I use 1024*768 or 800*600 resolutin for recording. I tryed to use 640*480 not such big impovment for fps show.

But how to do this " could you capture the video in raw format" - hint me to a program

Bruce Leeroy

Post by Bruce Leeroy »

Thanks guys,

When I type in the console:
Demo_capture start 120 video.avi

It says must be playing a demo to capture. Any ideas? I don't want to capture a demo but rather an actual game.

Oh wait, do I record the demo first, play it and capture it with this? I'll try that.

Bruce

sapphired

Post by sapphired »

Bruce Leeroy wrote:Thanks guys,When I type in the console:Demo_capture start 120 video.aviBruce
Hi Bruce - command works only for .qwd and .mvd to convert them into video. You cannot start recording you game, 1st you need a demo recording.

Doc

Post by Doc »

i record all my videos with fraps. without going into detail, you can look around and find a good version fairly easy... ;)