THE|NAVIGATORS Deadly Airfisting Dets Gambit

What's working? What isn't? What could be improved? Let's hear your ideas on how to improve AGR, and try to achieve .. perfection.
OneManClan
Site Admin

THE|NAVIGATORS Deadly Airfisting Dets Gambit

Post by OneManClan »

Hi all.

THE|NAVIGATOR has been throwing the tossible detpack.. and then using the Airfist to blow it into key areas.. at the last minute. From Blues point of view, a det appears, as if out of nowhere, and even if you have the scanner, it blows up before you can go near it!

Ok this is a BRILLIANT and deadly move, but I think it makes blue too vulnerable. One mistake, and there's an unstoppable det, thrown from OUTSIDE the room, and airfisted right where your SG, Soldier, or Monster is.

Yes, in BIG Games there's always someone outside the 'main room', but in smaller games its not always possible. And unless a fellow defender devotes themselves FULL TIME to this, it feels pointless to invest time and effort in building up your SGs. The challenge is - how to make it easier to counter, without making it pointless for the airfisting detter:

Possible Solutions:

1. Dets blow up if you airfist them (too strict)
2. Dets which are airfisted restart their timers (too lenient
3. Dets which are airfisted don't fly as far (they currently fly a LONG WAY!)
4. <insert YOUR idea here>

your thoughts please.

Jonan

Re: THE|NAVIGATORS Deadly Airfisting Dets Gambit

Post by Jonan »

(4) When it's airfisted, it adds x seconds to the detpacks clock. (1-2 seconds).
(5) Doesn't bounce as much.
(6) Each time it's airfisted, has a chance of going off earlier, or not at all.

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

Ok, I've gone for:

2. Dets which are airfisted restart their timers (It's not 'pointless because you can still airfist away someone using scanner to dismantle them)

and
3. Dets which are airfisted don't fly as far, and (5) don't bounce as much. I just tested this, and it's still a fair distance!

I'm still thinking about:
(6) Each time it's airfisted, has a chance of going off earlier, or not at all.
Seems too 'random' and I'm concerned it might be less 'fun' and more 'annoying'.

Jonan

Post by Jonan »

(7) Each time it is airfisted, its' blast radius decreases.

It often takes a few airfistings to get it into a decent place. So you could have -10% radius every airfist, and it would be down to half radius before you know it. With less chance of everything being destroyed.

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

Jonan wrote:(7) Each time it is airfisted, its' blast radius decreases.

It often takes a few airfistings to get it into a decent place. So you could have -10% radius every airfist, and it would be down to half radius before you know it. With less chance of everything being destroyed.
yes yes, this makes sense.. Ill do it.. though it would be good to know exactly what the blast radius was .. somehow

KING-OF-PING

Post by KING-OF-PING »

Well, this tactic was used by Haze and it was OK. I just try to build a killer Tesla that stays built. It's just something that can be used to get it done. I do the same thing with mirvs, like on that one map where red comes from the trees. When blue can keep an elevator locked down, red has to try other options. I'm no backing any changes, except to give me back my normal grapple that has no slip when hit if there's going to be tons of bots :) I want flag carry at normal speeds back too :)

Jonan

Post by Jonan »

Really wish we had the ThreeWave Grapple.