International Anti Lag

What's working? What isn't? What could be improved? Let's hear your ideas on how to improve AGR, and try to achieve .. perfection.
ripednail

International Anti Lag

Post by ripednail »

The other day i noticed how there are quite a few international players and thier pings are just shy of dialup. Then theres always king of ping :) A big disadvantage.

So I came up with a solution, since quake is open source and all. I call it intercontinental anti lag. While i don't have the technical ability I do have alot of history on gaming advancements and some programing skills.

Back in the day with halflife TFC and most noteably counterstrike. Pings were much higher for most people, even with broadband, so they implemented server\client side anti-lag where if you shot someone in the head with your client, the server would go back and reconize those hits and kill the player (a 200 ms ping, became very playable). That is to the slight disadvantage of a low ping player, who got pulled back and died.

So heres the difference lets say there were two or more game servers and they compared player inputs to the local server to improve the gaming experience for international players. So the local server would determine weather your shots hit the target within limits like (80 to 160 ms). Heres the best part player movement prediction and correction within limits with the more out of sync it becomes it speeds up the player on the other server and slows down the players client speed. Obviously proximity to walls would reduce prediction and correction.

In addition if servers were hosted where the lowest ping between countries that could further enhance game play.

This multiplayer enhancement would likely be universal and may even help expand the number of players on one game. Think of battle field 2. It may even be worth some money to a game company trying to make a 500 player server.

moa

Re: International Anti Lag

Post by moa »

Good idea but keeping multiple servers in sync at the finest level while running the game is a daunting task, and a nearly impossible one to implement on an existing code not prepared in order to do so. Check multithreaded code and mutexes for an apetizer.

ripednail

Re: International Anti Lag

Post by ripednail »

moa wrote:Good idea but keeping multiple servers in sync at the finest level while running the game is a daunting task, and a nearly impossible one to implement on an existing code not prepared in order to do so. Check multithreaded code and mutexes for an apetizer.

I have allready coded a multithreded server that uses cilk and pthread recursive mutexes. It took me ALOT of time to do and fully understand, however I've made gains in the way of offloading work to other cpus without eating up too much system call resources (over head). What I've found is that memory allocation to cpu has a significant impact on overhead. I've also found that under load spike conditions the server performs much better.

But that's between cpu's not so much of the network interfacing and game logic after a frame, on seperate cpu's.

Off the topic I've found the game logic (the mod) to be sort of dumb by comparison to the game engine ;) On the other hand quake would be much less of a game without team fortress/agr etc.