Make Armour affect speed.. and gravity?

What's working? What isn't? What could be improved? Let's hear your ideas on how to improve AGR, and try to achieve .. perfection.
OneManClan
Site Admin

Make Armour affect speed.. and gravity?

Post by OneManClan »

Hey people.

We've already had the idea floated to make Armour affect Speed, ie no 'legs' menu, your speed directly depends on how much armour you buy. The idea does make sense.. but I do (very) occasionally buy 300 armour ($4100) and second fastest legs (cougar $6000) which leaves $900 to buy minimal weaponry, rarely, but it's nice to know it's there. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Also, it logically follows that the Armour could affect gravity, eg: 'knocktation' - the amount you are 'moved' when there's an explosion/blast/airfist etc This might mean no need for 'Aspect of HW guy' - just include it with Red Armour.

Accordingly, at the other end of the scale, light armour should affect how high you can jump, thus eliminating the need for gymnast.

Opinion 1:
Great idea, it streamlines everything, simplifies the menus, reduces confusion for the newbies, and makes logical sense

Opinion 2:
Terrible idea. The options aren't that confusing, they increase choice, and part of the specialness of the 'Custom' concept is the 'choice' aspect, the 'make-your-own class'. In any case why change the mod for lazy/ illiterate people who can't (or won't) read instructions? AGR has never catered to them, so why start now?

your feedback please

KING-OF-PING

Re: Make Armour affect speed.. and gravity?

Post by KING-OF-PING »

I think that it should stay as is, only because this is custom TF. I do wish that we could try a non custom agr game sometime and then you already have the armor affecting speed, except for the bunnyhopping that bypasses that.

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

I like modifications that add a bit more realism to combat like that. QC should have a .gravity field from the mission packs and up you can mess with to experiment with stuff like that, and Im not sure but that field might clear after 1 frame.

I recently made a new armor class that is "insulated" armor and protects better vs lightning damage.

Also I got a blue armor icon in the hud, and a progress bar that shows up when you touch it. This armor takes 2 seconds to put on whereas other armors are instantly put on. I always thought the Q guy was a quik change artist - lol.

Oh and another idea that may not be to harsh is apply some additional downward _z force to the player when waterlevel > 2 , depending on armortype. This way they drift to bottom faster with heavier armor.

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

Hey Cobalt!

The 'Ceramic Armour' protects against lightning damage .. maybe it should be renamed 'insulated' makes it clearer. LOVE the idea of making armours more obvious, so ppl can see what the enemy is wearing. If anyone reading this has any experience with shaders - let me know!

And yes, Heavy Armour *should* sink faster .. definitely something to think about.. :geek:

ps - thats a good lookin' suit of armour! :)

Cobalt

Post by Cobalt »

Thanks OMC. The armor is really just the q3 armor with a different skin found here

http://www.tabun.nl/3d_work_view.php?vi ... rmor_earth

Apparently the skin wraps sorta a little differently depending on the armor model used....and the q3 one seemed to look the best when I experimented.

Beltan

Post by Beltan »

I'm for applying legspeed automatically based on the armor someone is wearing. Less is more, as they say- and I feel we could easily compensate with an improved version of sprint or just one extra option that doubles the person's base legspeed passively for those speed-demons who don't mind paying for their rapid movement. (Beats the hell out of people who buy a middling speed and then bunnyhop their way past cheetah speed for free.)

We all want to see AGR (and custom TF) thrive, and it seems to me that we agree that new blood would be a good thing. Smoothing out that learning curve by streamlining customization would, to my mind, only help our cause.

Furthermore, I have no doubt that we could take similar action with some of the other menus, such as the armor and specialty armor menus. Several options allow you to choose the same option for, say, an extra sentrygun to build, or a higher level of guerilla mines. Our armor menu could operate the same way. Let's say, 3 levels of armor (light, medium, heavy) and each option simply showing the type of armor being purchased. As that would be a lot of clicks for someone who wants a bunch of armor, the bottom options could be a shortcut to buying what they want (level 2 all types, or level 3 all types). Another way we can pare down the numbers of options is by combining a couple of the armor types, since they aren't granting immunity, only resistance. Melee armor and kevlar could be combined fairly simply, and insulated armor could reasonably be expected to provide protection against both fire and electricity. (Say, I just noticed we don't have any cold-based weapons...)

+More gentle learning curve: More players who get better at the game faster and are more likely to stick around.
+Less menus with intuitive combinations of options: Faster customization, less down-time for those wanting to recustom during the match to adapt, leading to fewer steamroll victories.
-Fewer options: If the changes eliminate a unique loadout that a player may want to use, it will take additional work to make sure that a suitable replacement option is made available. We can't take the 'Custom' out of 'CustomTF'! (For example, if you want to be fast with high armor, the changes would likely require that an option be added that would apply a movement bonus for those who want both...of course the pricing should be appropriate for such an adantage, but no matter what it costs, it should be available.)

I sure am long-winded. I'd better stop there before I trail further off point :) I sure hope you guys like the ideas.

Jonan

Post by Jonan »

Player.mdl could also be adjusted to be fatter or thinner depending on the HP / Armour rating.

With even the bounding boxes adjusted to allow for skinnier players to get in and out of tight gaps. I think a player needs 48 units of clearance, widthwise, to get through.

Jonan

Post by Jonan »

You could always get rid of the speed menu altogether. Just have speed based on your left over money. With current speed displayed when you are building class.

So, let's say you start with $11,000 and 640 speed, if you get down to $0 you get speed set to 200.
Not sure what the speeds are, but for my calculations I'll assume a 440 difference from top to bottom. This will allow for each $25 you spend you lose 1 speed (25 x 440 = 11000).
This would give the illusion of weight to the items you buy.

So speed would be : ((starting money - money spent) / 25) + 200. (Assuming starting money stays $11,000)

So if I buy nothing my speed would be 640.
If I buy Rocket Launcher, my speed would be 520.
If I buy RL and Cluster, my speed would be 400.

However, speeds and money might have to be adjusted for this to be viable.

You could always also tie HW aspect directly too the red armours too, just like Pyro Toys and Asbestos.

Jonan

Post by Jonan »

With that Health Bonus we are currently are getting, could it not an option for the player?

The play would choose what the excess money is spent on.
(1) Health ($50 per 1 extra health)
(2) Armor ($50 per 1 extra armor)
(3) Speed ($50 per 1 extra speed)
(4) Jump Height ($50 per 1 extra height)
(5) Melee Speed ($50 per 1% extra melee speed)
(6) Melee Damage ($50 per 1 extra melee damage)
(7) Reload Speed ($50 per -1% reload time)

Only 1 would be available to choose, default would be (1) Health.