Request to make forums open

What's working? What isn't? What could be improved? Let's hear your ideas on how to improve AGR, and try to achieve .. perfection.
rincewind

Request to make forums open

Post by rincewind »

Can we make the forum open to view to guest so we don't have to login in everytime to read what people post?
Just a request...

rincewind

Re: Request to make forums open

Post by rincewind »

quakeworld.nu forums are open....why not here. I think that's why so many people use the comments section on the weekly post rather than coming here where it is properly organised and available to come back to....

I'm guessing most people are apathetic towards this request then?

Beltan

Post by Beltan »

I don't want just any asshole posting in our forums.

Let's keep it contained to just the registered assholes :mrgreen:

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

Hey Wolf

You have a point, it's possible someone not currently interested might become interested/motivated to become a player after reading the posts.

I originally set it up as register-to-read because I had never used forum software before, and was minimizing the possibility of the site being hacked/sabotaged. It happened only last week to inside3d.com, and those guys are way more tech savvy than I. For this reason I'm currently more comfortable with this forum being for players only, even to read. Better safe than sorry, etc. Maybe I figure anyone genuinely interested would register.

You have a point though, the 'attracting new players' factor might be worth the 'potential sabotage' factor; so I'll definitely think about this..

OneManClan
ps. it took the inside3d guys a week to fix the issue!
pps There was also a 'registration bot' a few months back, which registered someone every 30 seconds, luckily, the first few posts have to be manually approved so the hack didn't affect the AGR forum.. so yea.. I'm being extra careful (!)