What should the 'Bandolier'/'big backpack' *do*?

What's working? What isn't? What could be improved? Let's hear your ideas on how to improve AGR, and try to achieve .. perfection.
OneManClan
Site Admin

What should the 'Bandolier'/'big backpack' *do*?

Post by OneManClan »

Hi all,

I'm assessing the 'bandolier'/ 'big backpack' situation. Objective: to make the Backpack, and Bandolier ('Big Back Pack') simpler, more balanced, and more logical/intuitive.

It was called 'Bandolier' in CustomTF, and I always assumed it just gave more grenades, BUT it actually increases the maximum carrying capacity of all ammo..

I was concerned the word 'bandolier' would just confuse newbies, so I renamed it ''Big backpack'. I changed the code at some point and there was a bug and ppl ended up getting eg 750 ammo, and exploiting it to build instant Level3 sentries ( +turret!)!

Anyway, I've reverted the code, but there has been weirdness, and inconsistencies in how it all works. For example, lets look at how many rockets you get then you get a rocket launcher:

STOCK soldier = 40 rockets

CUSTOM
rocket launcher = 30 rockets
rocket launcher + backpack = 60 rockets
rocket launcher + bandolier = 40 rockets
rocket launcher + backpack+ bandolier = 35 rockets

(clearly wrong)

Anyway, I've had a look at how the ( old CustomTF ) code worked, and it's a little confusing. For example, everyone gets an amount of ammo (nails/cells/rockets) even if they have no weapon to use it with. Presumably so they can give ammo to a teammate. I'm not sure how it *should* work. One idea to simplify things is to NOT make the bandolier increase ammo. Make the bandolier only increase max grenades and dets..

Before I 'do anything' though, I need to know ppls opinions on the backpack/Bandolier situation. eg:

A: How often do you buy them and why?
B: How important is it for you to get a backpack/ammo off a dead player?
C: is the ability to give teammates rockets/cells etc a big deal?
D: Are you 'happy' we the way it currently works?

Yes, I AM being cautious, because 'how much ammo I have' has been ingrained/hardwired into our psyches after so many years, and I do NOT want to do ANYTHING that might mess w people's 'flow' when playing our sacred game.

I made a video/chat about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7vBruqk180
(recorded post Session, so I'm exhausted, sleep deprived, and rambling a bit, not sure if I'll make that vid public)

Jonan

Re: What should the 'Bandolier'/'big backpack' *do*?

Post by Jonan »

You should try picking up ammo with it. I had lower spawning ammo, compared to my max ammo. Custom Soldier had 35 rockets on spawn, then I could pick up and get to 70.

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

Jonan wrote:You should try picking up ammo with it. I had lower spawning ammo, compared to my max ammo. Custom Soldier had 35 rockets on spawn, then I could pick up and get to 70.
I think that's normal..

and iirc, I think this all started when i was trying to make ppl spawn w full armour (?)

btw I've reverted everything (just so we can have an issue free day), so things should be 'normal' today.

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

Jonan wrote:You should try picking up ammo with it. I had lower spawning ammo, compared to my max ammo. Custom Soldier had 35 rockets on spawn, then I could pick up and get to 70.
So in your opinion, what *should* happen?

Should players spawn w their 'max ammo', or some lesser amount, and have to go to a backpack to 'fill up'?

(Also, maybe it's time to 'revamp' the custom classes...?)

ripednail

Post by ripednail »

I think you should add a fake backpack that explodes like an grenade

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

ripednail wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:20 am
I think you should add a fake backpack that explodes like an grenade
You mean the enemy makes/drops one? If it looks exactly like a normal backpack, then it would be a randomly annoying feature. If it looks different, I dunno if there's an 'entertainment value' in people having to slow down and check backpacks before picking them up.

ripednail

Post by ripednail »

I'm not sure what ever is best for looks, however it seems that people love picking up backpacks, maybe a little bit too much.