Back Packs

What's working? What isn't? What could be improved? Let's hear your ideas on how to improve AGR, and try to achieve .. perfection.
Jonan

Back Packs

Post by Jonan »

Here's a few suggestions for back packs / discards.

(1) Have them last longer. They disappear very quick. I used play engineer in clan matches, those extra packs lying around were very helpful.

(2) Death Packs could have medic's ammo in them. Either for another medic to pick up. Or to heal the player who picks it up, with a +1 HP : 1 Medikit ratio. Whether that's just for team mates or both.

(3) When you pick up Quake rockets, and your rockets are full, you get grenades. Perhaps the same could be done with packs.

OneManClan
Site Admin

Re: Back Packs

Post by OneManClan »

Jonan wrote:Here's a few suggestions for back packs / discards.

(1) Have them last longer. They disappear very quick. I used play engineer in clan matches, those extra packs lying around were very helpful.
Yes. Ok, I doubled the 'time till they disappear' from 20 seconds to 40 seconds.

Jonan wrote:(2) Death Packs could have medic's ammo in them. Either for another medic to pick up. Or to heal the player who picks it up, with a +1 HP : 1 Medikit ratio. Whether that's just for team mates or both.
Dunno about this one. Psychologically, as a Medic I want the credit that the healing is something I personally did, rather than coming from some 'thing' I happened to have when I died. If I die before getting to you, I failed to heal you.
Jonan wrote:(3) When you pick up Quake rockets, and your rockets are full, you get grenades. Perhaps the same could be done with packs.
These items are decided in the map itself, and an ent edit can fix any 'problem' w any particular map having insufficient/crappy items. I'm not aware of any 'general' problem with this.. so I don't want to 'mess with that is currently working'. Also, if items become interchangable ie if things 'lose their identity', then there's no point in rockets being rockets and grenades being grenades. Also some might argue that the frustration w 'stuff not being available' only adds to the emotional intensity of the game.

Jonan

Post by Jonan »

(2) Perhaps another medic would receive the medikit ammo only. If you don't have medikit, you don't even see it.

(2) Perhaps if you die with medikit you could drop a small amount of +HP in your pack then. Say random 1-10, if you had any left at all.

Could take this even further, where if the player that dies, has a spanner, they drop a small amount of armor (1-10), in their Death Pack.

(3) I meant if I pick up a Death Pack, when I already have full Rockets, I would receive +1 grenade. This could have a minimum amount of rockets required. Or if you have 50 max ammo, and are full, and you pick up another 50 rockets in a single Death Pack, you gain 1 grenade, instead of those rockets just going to waste.

This already happens when you pick up a standard rocket box that Quake has.

Jonan

Post by Jonan »

(2) How about when the flag is out, if Blue pick up a Death Pack, they get bonus supplies.

Perhaps a chance to get +10 HP and/or +10 Armour and/or +1 Grenade1 and/or +1 Grenade2.

Perhaps when flag is out, free biosuit too?

OneManClan
Site Admin

Post by OneManClan »

Jonan wrote:(2) How about when the flag is out, if Blue pick up a Death Pack, they get bonus supplies.

Perhaps a chance to get +10 HP and/or +10 Armour and/or +1 Grenade1 and/or +1 Grenade2.

Perhaps when flag is out, free biosuit too?
I like the idea of players getting some kind of bonus/surprise, but I'd rather focus on bonuses players earn, rather than something players get by sheer chance.

Otoh, randomness does add some extra unpredictability, which has an emotional appeal.. so .. hmmm I can see it both ways...

Jonan

Post by Jonan »

If I buy dispenser (perhaps other buildings too), and not spanner, or a weapon that uses cells, and use discard, it will drop all my cells. Is it meant to be this way?

Jonan

Post by Jonan »

Perhaps Army Bots could drop backpacks.